Followers

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Vegetarianism

I have move my blog to www.spotalks.com

I am currently residing in Singapore which is an entrepot and major hub of economic activities. So people may tend to think that everyone can get the food of their choice but that’s not the case especially if you’re a vegetarian. Vegetarians here in Singapore suffer a lot to get a decent food. Take an example of NTU, there are only 4-5 canteens actually serving vegetarian food in that only one or two is decent enough to eat. Then why be a vegetarian and suffer, common sense question. Yeah, there are lots of reasons too.

Let us look at the different kinds of vegetarian diets.

Vegan: Eats- Fruits, Vegetables, Legumes, Grains, Nuts, and Seeds; does not eat- Meat, Fish, Shellfish, Poultry, Dairy Products, and Eggs.

Lacto-vegetarian: Eats - Fruits, Vegetables, Legumes, Grains, Nuts, Seeds, and Dairy Products; does not eat - Meat, Fish, Shellfish, Poultry, and Eggs.

Ovo-vegetarian: Eats - Fruits, Vegetables, Legumes, Grains, Nuts, Seeds, and Eggs; does not eat- Meat, Fish, Shellfish, Poultry, and Dairy Products.

Lactoovo-vegetarian: Eats - Fruits, Vegetables, Legumes, Grains, Nuts, Seeds, Eggs, and Dairy Products; does not eat - Meat, Fish, Shellfish, and Poultry.

Semi-Vegetarian: Eats - Fruits, Vegetables, Legumes, Grains, Nuts, Seeds, Eggs, Dairy Products, Fish, Shellfish, and Poultry; does not eat – Meat.

I am falling into the category of Lactoovo-vegetarian.

I am from Cuddalore that means sea town in Tamil. So obviously I have eaten fish from my childhood then I denounce fish and start eating vegetarian food which is not so tasty like sea food. For all the fish lovers, fish is the only food which has omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty is essential for your brain development. Vegetarians may take some recommended supplements. The reasons why I chose to eat vegetarian food are I don’t wanna be an obese by eating meat and not working out, meat has trans fat and saturated fats it will take very hard work to burn it (I am not a hard worker too), wanna reduce my carbon foot print (I am not religious at all) and last but not least I can save money (Non- vegetarian food are more expensive than vegetarian).

There are other inherent benefits of being vegetarian; it is proven that vegetarian diet improves immunity. A simple Google search will provide ample amount of merits and demerits of vegetarian diet. I don’t want to urge others to be vegetarians. Eat what you like.

No comments: