Followers

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Flat world vs. the Spiky World

I have move my blog to www.spotalks.com

I believe most of you should have read “The world is flat” book by radical thinker of 21st century Thomas L. Friedman. He is also a famous columnist of The Newyork Times and several times winner of Pulitzer Prize. He says in his revolutionizing book about globalization that the world is flat; it means more and more people around the world started to plug and play in the world economy. I was constantly looking for different perspective to Friedman because you couldn’t form an opinion on single perspective though Friedman is undeniably a genius. I came across a book called “The shock Doctrine” by Naomi Klein, a famous Canadian journalist who opposes globalization. She was succinctly arguing in her book that free market principles devised and advocated by Nobel Laureate Milton Friedman erodes the freedom of ordinary people.
In the novel, she cited examples from South American dictatorship to democratic Bolivia how they implemented free markets with the help of CIA or some American foundation in a forced manner. These countries deliberately wiped the indigenous industries or people to allow multinational corporate to exploit the cheap resources. She was vehemently arguing that globalization is bad and can only benefit some elite people, others will be left out. My insatiable desire to understand why only certain cities or countries can innovate was not over. One day I was browsing through “Economist.com” and found an article about the book on “Imaging India” by Nandan Nilekani, co-chairman of Infosys. As many might have anticipated, his book was all praise about how Bangalore was able to adapt to globalization and become a centre of innovation in IT services. I was very curious to read the comments posted by readers on how they react to his book and found an interesting comment asking others to read a book called “Who’s your city?” by Richard Florida.
As a poor jobless guy like me will always fall into the trap of others who say that this or that book is very good. So I went to library and borrowed this book to read, know what the hell is he talking about? Believe me this book is worth a read and it gave me a different perspective and trigger me to think also. He is not against globalization like Naomi Klein but he says “The world is spiky” rather flat. As a reader, I kept on reading to understand his intuition and logic behind saying that. He says only so called mega regions or cities around the globe produces almost entire goods and services and they are the major contributors for trade. He was able to prove this statement by facts and figures from credible agencies like IMF, World Bank, etc. I said to myself alright man; I may try to convince myself that the world is not flat but spiky.
But things usually don’t stop there, we need to introspect whether globalization is really good or bad or the world is flat or spiky. In my case, I hail from a small town which was/is (Don’t know I haven’t analyzed this yet) not well connected to the global economy. There are so indifferences or inequities among the guys or gals brought up in cities and my place which I can clearly observe. I gone to Chennai to pursue my junior college and understood that the world is competitive than what I thought previously so I started working my ass off. I got a decent score in A levels and land up in NTU, Singapore. I come here and find that the world is extremely spiky so I need to fundamentally dismantle myself or double hard work. So, I am doing my level best to keep my head above the water. For a moment, leave me aside and lets go to another interesting perspective who’s my cousin born and brought up in a village worse than my place actually (at least in education).
I took him to city and showed him the different world out there where there are so much of opportunities to grab. He made a sensible point “who will support me in city?” Unless you hail from middle class or upper middle class you have all the money to spend on your training and move up the ladder. I sincerely believe that he has a point. If we really analyze who are those people who plugged and played in Friedman’s the flat world? They are from mega regions or cities like Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai. It’s the safest assumption to say that all our elite class, entrepreneurs and business people are from those mega regions.
I wanted to know how the fastest growing country “china” looks like. So I asked my Chinese friend “Is china a flat country or spiky regions?” My friend admitted that china is also a spiky regional country but one commodity in china is very flat. Guess what? It is education which is the essential commodity for people from non flat world to compete with flat world people. For my cousin to be competitive in the cities first he has to acquire the right skills to succeed in this fast paced world. In near future I clearly don’t see India to be a flat country but with spiky regions. People from non flat regions of the country will definitely find hard to plug and play within the country but they should try to be the “Change Agents” to change India into a flat country.

4 comments:

The VJ said...

But all those elite class too come from villages...all ppl come to cities in search of better opportunities...cities came into existence and developed because of their need and efforts..Ambani wasn't a city guy..n most ppl in Chennai or Mumbai don't belong to the city..they all come from villages!

sat said...

@VJ, Interesting! I expected someone to raise this point. Friedman wasn't referring to 2oth century. He was referring to 21st century which is flat not 20th century. During ambani, Annamalai chettair (our tamil entrepreneur) times the whole India is same. Mumbai or chennai are only over grown villages not the flat cities like today which are plugging and playing in the world economy. I think u must have understood that.

Vaisagh said...

interesting post... I should try reading that book I guess.
Did you notice the irony in the fact that the world is ( and i think can only be) truly flat in communist countries where say education and basic health is guaranteed to all? While at Friedmen's radical end of the spectrum, its almost impossible for all people to have the same standards, unless : (1) They all start of with at least similar starting points. (2) They're geniuses like Ambani, etc....

sat said...

@Vaisagh. Thats why Kerala in India is most advanced state in terms of Human development index but not in terms of economic development. I think there is always a trade off in life since humans are self centered and value money more than anything.